Sunday, May 27, 2012

DIY Laundry Detergent

Hello friends! 

Once again I was inspired by Liz over at Liz Marie Blog
This time her inspiration took me WAY out of my comfort zone. 
She shared a wonderful tutorial about Homemade Laundry Detergent
 and I decided, at 11pm on a Saturday night,
 to run to Walmart and purchase the ingredients.


You need:

Borax- 4 lb 12 oz box
Fels-Naptha soap- 3 bars
Arm & Hammer Baking Soda- 4 lb box
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda- 3 lb box
Oxy Clean- 4 lbs
(All of this is available in the laundry isle at Wally World for around $15)

You will also need a large container to store it in, grater, and a stirring stick.
(I used a $10 glass canister from Walmart)


First, grate the soap on the smaller part of a cheese grater. 

Then add each ingredient one at a time and MIX in between!!!
It gets hard to mix so I highly recommend mixing after you add each ingredient. 

Once I was done, I transferred the mix back and forth
 in another bucket to really get it good and mixed! 
The grated soap helps you to see if it is thoroughly mixed.

And voila!

Here she is right next to our Check Your Pockets Jar.
 I am going to order another cute decal for this project.

Liz suggests using 2-3 tablespoons per load. 
One of her readers commented that they have found
 "that using more than one and a half tablespoons will leave a residue 
in their new HE front loader, so they added white distilled vinegar as the fabric softener." 

We have a High Efficiency front loader so 
I am going to try it tonight and will update with the results!



9 comments:

  1. Looks easy enough to make - hope it works ok!!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great recipe! I know I have tons pinned on pinterest to make.. I really HAVE to try! Just wanted to let you know that I featured your dresser transformation on the Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com
    Hope you stop by and grab a featured button!
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am interested to hear how it works for you! Thanks for sharing at the party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see how if towrks. I am toying with making our own detergent since D has sensitive skin. I would love it if you would share on my linky party - Tout It Tuesday. http://www.claimingourspace.com/2012/05/tout-it-tuesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pinning this!!! I use a similar "recipe" but like that this has OxyClean in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a good money saving "recipe". Thank you for sharing!

    (this was my reply to your email! but I couldn't send it because of you being a "no reply blogger", so I wanted to stop by to make sure you knew I wasn't ignoring you!!)
    I have never even been there, so I'm hoping I like it!! I've heard the Ozarks are gorgeous though, so i'm hoping that will help me put up with the humidity and bugs!! :) Thank you for stopping by my blog!! Iam totally following my new blog-neighbors right back ;)

    -Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I used the smallest part of my grater and its still not really a "powdery" texture.. Does it matter that some of it is chunky? (small chucks, but still chunky)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our wasn't powdery either. It was like shredded cheese. it is fine! :)

      Delete
  8. Recently I made a batch of this, was able to find generic Oxy clean at Family Dollar store, saved a few $. I shared the detergent with my co-workers, we all tried and tested it, and all felt it did a great job. The original recipe that I copied said to use only one (1) TBS per load, that is enough unless you have heavily soiled clothing. I used a storage container to do the mixing, easier with more space to stir and mix. Suggest breaking up the fels soap after you grate it, to break it down even smaller, or grate it smaller.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...